SIX WEEK CHECK LIST
- Call Salvation Army or other charity for pick up of unwanted items.
- Decide on your approximate move date.
- Arrange to have an All-Aboard Moving Consultant perform your estimate.
- Be sure to give your Moving Consultant your Hbc Rewards collector number.
- Transfer or cancel club memberships. Request an About Town kit to acquaint you with your new community. It is free of charge.!!
- Do not pack documents connected with your move.
- Review with your doctor the names and dosages of any medications that are renewable.
- Schedule farewell visits with family and friends.
FOUR WEEK CHECK LIST
- Notify your post office. Find out your new postal code. Arrange for mail forwarding and send change of address cards.
- Arrange to have utilities disconnected.
- Contact the utility companies at destination to arrange services to be connected as soon as you move in.
- Request that the phone company connect service before you arrive at your new home.
- Ask your bank to transfer your accounts to the branch nearest your new home.
- If you are paying for your own move, you will need to pay by preauthorized payment via credit card or a certified cheque.
- Arrange for a safety deposit box at the new location. Never pack valuables. Keep money, jewelry and bonds with you or arrange for a courier service to transport them.
- Transfer fire, theft and other insurance. Check your policy to see whether a long distance move is covered.
TWO WEEK CHECK LIST
- Check your “to do” list. Call your Moving Consultant with any questions.
- Ask your Moving Consultant for a Destination Member Contact Card. This specifies the name and phone number of your Destination Member.
- Prepare a floor plan of your new home and make extra copies. They will be very helpful for moving in.
- Plan a going-away party for your children and their friends.
- If you plan to do some of the packing, start now. Ask your Moving Consultant for a copy of our Do-It-Yourself Packing Guide.
- Plan menus to use up stocks of canned and frozen foods.
- Collect items being cleaned, repaired, stored and loaned to friends. Return library books and movie rentals.
- Arrange care for young children and pets during the busy days of packing, loading and moving in.
ONE WEEK CHECK LIST
Before Pack day
- Keep any food, plates and utensils that you will need during the last days separate and pack them on moving day.
- Prepare a list of items you’ll need immediately at destination, such as a flashlight, light bulbs, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, snacks and drinks. Pack these last and unload them first, along with necessities such as the crib or playpen.
- Drain fuel from the lawnmower and other machinery. Safely dispose of all gasoline, matches, paints and aerosol cans listed in our booklet Handling Dangerous Goods.
- Confirm hotel/motel reservations for your trip.
- Organize all of your moving and travel documents as well as the valuables you will be taking with you.
- Set aside and label items such as luggage that you do not want packed or moved.
- Pack the phone book, it will be very useful after your move.
- Take down curtains, blinds, rods, shelves and mirrors. Unfasten any fixed carpets that are to be moved. The mover does not perform these tasks.